Each year the PCHS Museum closes
from mid-July through August. Due to major renovations this year
(2014), it will be necessary to extend the closure time through the
entire month of September up to mid-October.
The construction project involves
bathrooms, kitchen and rear entrance to the museum. This entire area
will be demolished and totally reconstructed to provide new facilities
that comply with state building, electrical and plumbing codes, and
federal ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requirements.
The facility will become readily
accessible to all populations and provide security for staff, the
collection, and the visitors.
We are a private non-profit
organization originally founded in 1959 as a countywide museum. Our
current home was built in 1970. The museum has numerous exhibits of
native Americans, day to day life in early Florence, prison artifacts,
and an extensive Library of Arizona and the southwest. In addition,
extensive records are available for research on families as well as
history of the area. Our staff will assist with onsite research.
You will find outstanding Indian exhibits,
extensive bullet and barbed wire collections, cactus furniture, quilts
and antique clothing, prison artifacts including hanging nooses,
two-seater gas chamber chair, and prison registers. The is an outdoor
display of antique farm machinery, a blacksmith shop, 1928 Pioneer
Cabin, and vintage fire engines.
Visit our "Reference Library" as we are proud
to have over 1000 books about the people, history, flora and fauna of
the region, Arizona Highways Magazine dating back to 1937 and archives
including documents, letters and photographs.
To collect, preserve, interpret and disseminate
relevant and historically significant materials pertaining to the
southwest with emphasis on Pinal County, and especially Florence and to
develop and maintain ethical, effective and efficient standards in
carrying out these endeavors for the benefit of present and future